Friends Against Scams want to make you aware of scams related to the recent outbreak of the Coronavirus.
Be aware of people offering or selling:
- Virus testing kits – these are only offered by the NHS
- Vaccines or miracle cures – there is currently NO vaccine or cure
- Overpriced or fake goods to protect yourself from the virus (ie anti-bacterial products)
- Shopping or medication collection services
- Home cleaning services
As with All scams:
- Don’t be rushed into making a decision. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!
- Only purchase from legitimate retailers and take a moment to think before parting with money or personal information
- Don’t assume everyone is genuine. It’s okay to reject, refuse or ignore any request. Only criminals will try to rush or panic you.
- If someone claims to represent a charity, ask them for ID. Be suspicious of requests for money up front. If someone attempts to pressure you into accepting a service, they’re unlikely to be genuine.
- Check with your family and friends before accepting offers of help if you are unsure.