As you may be aware, the NHS Healthy Start scheme is changing. By March 2022, paper applications will be replaced by applying digitally, along with some other key changes to the scheme.
Healthy Start families get help from the government to buy healthy food and milk and free Healthy Start vitamins. It is important that in our roles working with families, we are aware of the scheme and how families can sign up.
The supporting digital access to the NHS Healthy Start Scheme in Calderdale is a bespoke training session focused around Healthy Start. It will equip you with the knowledge to support the families you meet to register for the Healthy Start scheme.
Following last Cabinet meeting, the Calderdale Budget Consultation 2022/2023 and 2024/2025 is now live.
You can access the online consultation here:
The consultation period ends on Monday 14th February.
The bulk of feedback should go through the budget consultation website only and not to the old budget@calderdale email address. However for access purposes the attached paper has the proposals and a feedback form at the end for those that can’t access a website and can be printed out for people who can use the postal address on the form to send them back.
I hope getting back into the swing of things after the festive period has gone smoothly for you.
I wanted to let you know about two new offers we have coming up at the end of January – if you fancy getting creative in 2022 or need something to lift your spirits then these are for you!
Read on for more info…
Rhythm & Brews returns 28th Jan
We’re delighted to be running more of these sessions! A mixture of live music, dance, and relaxation – the perfect pick-me-up for your body and mind!
Aimed at adults of all ages but children are very welcome to join us too.
Find out more here.
Fridays, 12pm – 1.30pm
28th Jan, 11th & 25th Feb, 11th & 25th March
Upstairs Hall, Southgate Church, Elland. HX5 0JL
(The venue is fully accessible from the Langdale Street entrance)
Places are now available on a ‘Pay as You Feel’ basis to help us cover costs – you can choose various amounts to donate if you’d like to and free places are always available (no questions asked).
Monthly arts workshops start 29th Jan
Creative activities for all the family – join us to draw, make, write, and explore your creativity in these relaxed sessions.
Workshops will be held on Saturday afternoons, once a month, from January to June 2022 as part of our Elland’s Happiness Lab project. There’ll be a different creative activity on offer each time.
We’re kicking off with LANTERN MAKING with HANDMADE PARADE:
Make a lantern inspired by our ‘happiness’ theme and to be displayed in local shop windows for Handmade Parade’s Windows on the World project!
Suitable for all ages (children accompanied by an adult please).
Saturday 29th January: 1pm – 3pm
Southgate Church, Elland. HX5 0JL
Pay as You Feel (free places always available)
To keep everyone safe in the pandemic we are limiting numbers and asking everyone to book in advance – so do make sure to secure your spot!
Hope to see you at one or both sessions
Much love, Sam x
Whilst the vaccine will not make you immune to coronavirus, it will significantly reduce the severity of the symptoms and prevent hospitalisation.
- It’s never too late to get your first and second dose.
- Your vaccine is waiting for you, book online, call 119. Over 18s should get boosted now.
- Boosters will be offered to 16 and 17 year olds once national prescribing arrangements are in place.
- Recent data shows two doses of the vaccine are not enough to stop people becoming unwell from Omicron but suggests a booster significantly increases protection against the variant.
- There are lots of appointments and walk-in clinics available to get your vaccine in Calderdale.
- 1st and 2nd doses should be the same vaccine type. In line with JCVI advice Pfizer or Moderna is being given for boosters. If people are unable to have this vaccine type due to a medical reason it may be possible to have AstraZeneca, after discussion with a health professional.
- If you have had COVID-19 you need to wait before getting the vaccine. 4 weeks for over 18s and 12-17 year olds at high risk of COVID-19, and 12 weeks for 12-17 year olds.
- Calderdale continue to offer enough capacity to offer everyone over 16 years a booster and anyone who wishes to obtain their evergreen dose
- On behalf of its volunteers Luddenden Foot Community Pharmacy has made a donation of £5,000 to Overgate Hospice
- Boots, Halifax marked their first vaccine anniversary on the 14 January
- We are planning further pop-up clinics to offer vaccines to: Homeless; those accessing Foodbanks; Asylum seekers and Refugees; those with Serious Mental Illness, People with Learning Disabilities (PWLD); Black and Minority Ethnic communities; Pregnant women.
- Offer boosters to housebound and care home residents who were unable to get the vaccine at first or second visit.
- Offering 2nd dose to 12-15 year olds in school and local offers out of school.
- Working with more Community Pharmacies to increase opportunities for people to get their vaccine.
- Will be working on a medium to long-term plan for the Calderdale Covid Vaccination programme to ensure we have the most effective and efficient model in place.
Key contact and useful links
Arts Council England are investing £5million into a new programme distributed by UK Community Foundations.
Application deadline is February 28th.
Further guidance UK Community Foundations website
Our Recovery & Support team at Healthy Minds is excited to bring the people of Calderdale a new-and-improved offer of peer-support groups, drop-ins, activities, workshops and ‘Walks for Wellbeing’ in our January – March 2022 programme!
Find out more about whether our services might be for you at our website: https://www.healthymindscalderdale.co.uk/recoverysupport.html
Invictus Wellbeing and FC Halifax Town are planning a new pilot initiative aimed at boys aged 14-17 year old.
Running three sessions of 5-aside football and peer led intervention sessions between February and March (dates to be confirmed) these sessions will use football as a way of addressing issues such as anxiety, low mood, anger management and emotional regulation.
It is our belief that football can be an effective tool and vehicle for building confidence, self-esteem, community cohesion, resilience and importantly for this project, opening conversations around mental health and wellbeing.
These sessions will run at the Shay Stadium, Shaw Hill, Halifax HX1 2YS
- Coronavirus Vaccination key messages from Calderdale CCG
- Take the Halifax Railway Station consultation by January the 30th
- Official Launch of the Staying Well Community Fund
- Healthy Minds Wednesday Drop-in is back – by appointment
Have a great weekend!
If you’re on our mailing list the Friday Flyer will arrive direct to your inbox every Friday. Join the mailing list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact us on 01422 252 209
However, we do hope that you will join us by Zoom for a shortened meeting on:
Wednesday 26th January, 10:30am-12.00pm
Although we will miss the coffee and cake element of proceedings, it will be fantastic to see you all and to share information about what’s going on for children and young people in our area.
We will aim to keep the meeting concise (as per agenda below) and, depending on how many people come, we aim to finish in the allocated time.https://forms.office.com/r/qBHPhMQVGnWe would appreciate if you could complete this form for numbers:
Apologies if you have already emailed but this form is very short and is the online booking.
- Introduction to meeting
- Update from Time Out – new and existing staff
- Activity for Children’s Mental Health Week on the theme of Growing Together
- Update (three minutes max please!) from all partners
- Next meeting date
http://bitly.ws/nCunMeeting ID: 896 0311 8938 Passcode: 740978Join Zoom Meeting on this link:
With very best wishes
Also of interest: