- Recycle for the chance to win great prizes!
- Apply for an apprenticeship with Calderdale Council
- Attend an Adult Education Open Day tomorrow!
Have a great weekend!
If you’re on our mailing list the Friday Flyer will arrive direct to your inbox every Friday. Join the mailing list by emailing email@example.com
The Calais Refugee Support from Calderdale Group will be meeting to develop a plan of support from Calderdale for Calais on Monday 7 September 2015 at 6pm at The Works, 12 Hollins Mill Ln, Sowerby Bridge, HX6 2QG
There will also be a collection point located at Hebden Bridge Town Hall for the donation of the following items:
Trainers, hiking boots, wellies (only sizes UK 7-9), Tents (covers, tarpaulins), Jackets (small and medium only), Travelling bags, Socks, Candles and other lighting, Belts, Tracksuit trousers, Blankets, Jeans (size 28-32), Smartphones with SIM, Sleeping bag, Soap and shampoo, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Plastic bags, Wooly hats, Pants, Pots and Pans
Note – Items not needed at the moment are Women’s clothing or shoes, Jumpers, Children’s clothing, Nappies, baby wipes etc, Feminine hygeine products and Suits or formal shoes
The collection point will be open from Monday 7 September from 9am to Friday 25 September at 5pm for anybody who wishes to make a donation.
For further information on the Calais Refugee Support from Calderdale, find the group on Facebook here.
The current Police 101 contract expires in March 2016 and ahead of this, the Home Office are undertaking a review of the service to identify options for the future of the 101 service.
As part of the review, they are keen to hear the public’s views on the 101 police non – emergency number and feedback will be used to help ensure it continues to meet the needs of the public.
Please take a moment of your time to complete the online survey.
The Safer Communities Fund is a grant giving scheme which is designed to make funding easily accessible for projects that aim to make West Yorkshire safer and feel safer.
Application deadline to grant round 6 Friday 25 September 2015 (5pm).
Grant round 6 has a generic theme and projects will address the Police and Crime Plan priorities (see page 7 of the plan).
Voluntary and community groups, small charities and not-for-profit groups as well as National charities working in West Yorkshire can apply for up to £5,000.
Please don’t forget that your electoral form needs returning even if there are no changes and you can return by post or follow the simple instructions on your form to do it online or by phone.
Electoral Registration staff are now visiting households who haven’t returned electoral forms to ask them to complete on their doorstep.
No matter how little is in your recycling Calderdale Council need you to put it out EVERY weekend and to encourage residents to do this they are offering great monthly prizes of an iPad mini, 2 x £100 worth of tickets for the Victoria Theatre, 3 x £50 shopping vouchers.
A selection of households will be checked on each collection day and if you have recycled every week you will be put into a monthly prize draw.
Also, did you know you can sign up to Collection Day email reminders and never miss a collection again. Simply insert your postcode and then fill in your email address and receive an email you to remind you to put out your waste and recycling.
Lots of people already receive many of their bills electronically, water, gas, electric…so why not your Council tax? If you or anyone you know have not yet registered, sign up today!
All you need is the council tax reference number from your previous bill and it takes less than a minute.
Age UK are looking for volunteer support for at least half a day per week to assist older people with their health and care needs and help them complete the Attendance Allowance claim form.
Age UK provide training and ongoing support for this role so if this is something you would like to do please read on…
- Interview older people and their carers/ family about their health and care needs.
- Complete the Attendance Allowance claim form for clients where appropriate
- Keep the client informed of the ‘next steps’ once the form is complete.
- Signpost older people to other services that may help them, whether other Age UKCK departments or external providers where appropriate
- Update a record of your visit on our electronic database, and liaise with Age UKCK staff in the office.
- Arrange visits to clients in their own homes keeping office staff informed and aware of your visits.
- Attend training and support sessions and provide at least one form filing session per week (approximately 2-3 hours).
Person requirements: – Any potential volunteer would need to be able to demonstrate:
- Good literacy and numeracy skills, and the ability to update information onto a computerised system
- The ability to explain things clearly and simply in an appropriate manner
- The ability to write clear and accurate notes and records
- Open minded, non-judgemental approach to everyone, with patience, empathy and understanding
For volunteers visiting an older person at home you will need your own transport (your mileage will be paid), and you must be willing to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
If you would like to make a difference within your community and feel that you are the right person for this role, please phone 01422 252040 and ask for Alison, or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet at Park Wood Crematorium, Elland for a stroll looking for bats in the local area as they prepare themselves for hibernation.
Wednesday 16 September at 7.30pm
- Easy walk on level paths
- Particularly suitable for families (strictly no unaccompanied children)
- Sorry no dogs with the exception of guide or hearing dogs
- Walk – please wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
Insect repellent, warm clothing and a torch recommended and parking available in the crematorium grounds.
Contact Robin Dalton 07712 867619 for further information.
Last year over 4,000 people attended the Halloween Walk at Shibden Park.
Volunteers are required to help out this year and as museum staff you will be in the area around Shibden Hall within a safe environment and a fence separating you from the public – Costumes are limited but face paints will be provided.
Note – This is purely a voluntary event as all proceeds raised will go Overgate Hospice.
If you are interested in taking part or would like further information email Chris.Southwell@calderdale.gov.uk