Southgate Methodist Church
- A preview of our happiness exhibition of drawing and writing from local groups, schools, and individuals (the full exhibition will be in Elland Library from 18th July)
- A wonderful documentary film about the project, made by the brilliant Rainbow Trout Films
- A ‘taster menu’ of live dance performance – each one inspired by the themes that have emerged from the project. Performed by local community members and Curious Motion dancers, with choreography by myself and the performers.
- There will of course be brews, refreshments and light snacks available too (vegetarian/ vegan).
Calderdale Council has a vision for 2024 that our borough should be a great place to live and to visit. Together with our partners we want to keep communities safe and protect our environment from harm. Calderdale Council is working proactively through the Community Safety Partnership with partners such as West Yorkshire Police and West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service to prevent crime and disorder order and tackle the harm caused by anti-social behaviour (ASB). Being proactive is critical to delivering better outcomes from communities so where there is an opportunity to stop the harm before it happens, we will act first. Such action includes the use of the Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) which is an order made by local authorities by virtue of s75 Anti-Social Behaviour and Policing Act 2014. The introduction of a PSPO can prohibit certain behaviour/ activity as well as require action to be taken in a defined area. Calderdale currently has seven Public Spaces Protection Orders.
- The Moorland Fire Public Space Protection Order was implemented in June 2019 to protect our Moorland and upland areas by preventing the risk of fire.
- Five of the remaining PSPOs introduced restrictions on a person in charge of a dog/s, for example not entering specific areas such as children playgrounds and failing to clean up after their dog.
- The final order is in respect to the consumption of alcohol in a public place or other designated area. The order allows Police and Wardens to require individuals to stop drinking and surrender their alcohol.
Our PSPOs are due to expire on 16th June 2022. These orders can be extended therefore, the Council is currently reviewed the orders before a decision is taken whether to extend or not. The Council can also vary the order to make them more effective and we are currently considering the following changes to ensure communities are safer and to further protect our environment:
- Following the success of the Moorland Fire PSPO and the identification of further issues on the moors that are causing a detrimental effect to the public, we are proposing to Prohibit the recreational use of off-road vehicles on Calderdale Moorland area and extend the current designated area to take in some of Calderdale’s beauty spots.
- In respect to our Dog control PSPOs we are proposing to introduce a requirement that a person in charge of a dog must be in possession of some means with which to pick up dog excrement and lawfully dispose of it.
- The final variation we are proposing is to extend the area designated under the Alcohol Consumption PSPO. Currently only built up areas and civil amenities such as parks are designated under this order so the proposal is to make this a borough wide order as we have experienced alcohol related ASB and disorder in more rural areas of Calderdale.
The Council is consulting of these proposals so this is an opportunity to hear the views of everyone as to whether these orders are still relevant as well as necessary and therefore need to continue.A Lower Valley Drop-in consultation will be taking place on Thursday 26 May 2022 17.00-19.30
Langdale Room, Southgate Methodist Church, Langdale St, Elland HX5 0JL.
Please come along and give us your views!
We are also organising an online consultation for all areasTuesday 31st May 6.30 – 7.30pm.
I hope you enjoyed the bank holiday weekend. If you’re looking for something to help get back into the swing of things, we’ve got lots of options! Our classes and workshops start back this week – hope to see you there!
RHYTHM & BREWS
Music & movement
Join us for some relaxing movement activities with Sam whilst Matt accompanies on the guitar! For adults of all ages (and children where this enables adults to attend), followed by time for a brew and a butty!
Starting : Friday 22nd April
12pm – 1.30pm
Southgate Church, Elland. HX5 0JL
HAPPINESS LAB – APRIL
This month’s session is a collection of creativity! Join us to get dancing, writing & drawing on the theme of happiness. Suitable for all ages.
Starting : Saturday 23rd April
1pm – 3pm
Southgate Church, Elland. HX5 0JL
DANCE FOR WELLBEING
Now open to all adults!
We’re very excited to bring this class back and it’s now open to all adults! Enjoy a variety of fun sequences and time to stretch and relax. There’s a brew afterwards too (of course!).
Starting : Thursdays, from 5th May
6pm – 7.30pm
The Space @ Field Lane, Rastrick, HD6 3JT
BREWS & GROOVES
Dance for people over 55
The next block of our popular dance and social programme for people over 55 starts next week! Explore and learn a series of dances over the 6 weeks, and have a lot of fun along the way!
Tuesdays, 26th April – 31st May
10am – 11.30am
Southgate Church, Elland. HX5 0JL
All sessions are ‘Pay as You Feel’ – choose a donation amount or come for free, no questions asked.
Drop-in places are available but please book in advance if you can!
Any questions – drop us a note on email@example.com
Hope to see you in a session soon!
Sam and the team at Curious Motion x
Southgate Christian Centre have been hosting their popular Shoppers lunch on the first Friday of each month. In order to continue, they need your help.
If you have some time to spare, they are in need of volunteers to help prepare, serve and clean up after this very well received community event.
This is a very rewarding experience and an opportunity to meet like minded people, making a positive contribution to the lives of others around you.
All orientation will be provided and subsidised lunch included. If you have some time to help others, they would be very grateful.
The Shopper’s lunch starts at 12pm on the first Friday of each month at the Southgate Methodist Church in Elland. For £5.00 you can receive a two course meal and a hot drink.
Please contact Wilma Paton on 07772123058 for information and to register your interest.
Venue: Southgate Methodist Church, Langdale St, Elland HX5 0JL
Elland Christian Centre on Newcombe Street are holding a Wine and Cheese evening just for the ladies on Saturday 10 November, 7:00pm with a range of wines and cheeses and a Body Shop stall and occasion wear shop .
£5 entrance fee payable at the door.
Elland Christian Centre on Newcombe Street now has a cafe open every Friday 9am–6pm with a range of meals, drinks and snacks served throughout the day in a relaxed environment.
The menu can be found at ellandchristiancentre.co.uk.
Specials board at the café includes special items for that day (additional meals and desserts).
Telephone orders are welcome by calling 01422 327405.